Re: Why SET_WINDOW_GEOMETRY_RECORD_NAME ?

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Why SET_WINDOW_GEOMETRY_RECORD_NAME ?
Date: 12 Feb 1999 10:56:34 -0800

RLR> In heatbugs, why is the SET_WINDOW_GEOMETRY_RECORD_NAME macro
RLR> used on the ObserverSwarm object, but not on the ModelSwarm
RLR> object?

Typically an ObserverSwarm is associated with graphical components and
a ModelSwarm is not.

The purpose of the macro is to give the Archiver a name to associate
with a widget, or specifically, the position of a widget on the
screen.  The reason for using this macro with the toplevel ObserverSwarm
variable is so that the widgets created on behalf of the ObserverSwarm
can be uniquely named.  (Actually, there is only one widget,
the control panel, and the current implementation of GUISwarm only
is intended to be a single toplevel controller, so this extra
information is not used, currently -- a one line change.)

RLR> More generally, when/why is it necessary / useful to use the
RLR> SET_WINDOW_GEOMETRY_RECORD_NAME macro?  (I see its used for
RLR> worldRaster and unhappyGraph, too.)

It is so that widgets' positions can be recovered and reassociated from
~/.swarmArchiver when the model restarts.  Take a look and you'll
see what I mean.