Memory Management

From: Michael Roth
Subject: Memory Management
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 22:06:05 -0500 (EST)

I would just like to confirm that I have the right idea behind how objects
are managed in Swarm.

Unlike NeXT's implementation, Swarm does not use the retain/release cycle.
Instead, as far as I can tell, there is no way to track how many objects
refence another.  For example, Object A is created by Object B and
refenced to by Object C.  Later on Object B frees (drops) object A.  Now
what happens to Object C's pointer to A?  Does A still exist or is C now
pointed to unallocated memory?

On a related topic, has anyone tried using swarm with libFoundation or the
GNUStep base libraries?