Interesting new GCC warning (was Re: What's wrong with this dynamic mat

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: Interesting new GCC warning (was Re: What's wrong with this dynamic matrix allocation
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 19:22:03 -0600

"Marcus G. Daniels" wrote:

> PJ> Did you mean to imply that snippit runs without error for you?
>
> It happened to on Solaris.
>
> The bug in the program is that -createEnd doesn't return self.

Gosh darn it. You are right.  Aside from "thinking hard and writing down
the answer," was there a method you used to spot that problem?

WHen I used egcs to compile the example test code you sent, I got a
warning I had never seen before.  Have you seen this too? What do you
think?

main.m:1: warning: using `#import' is not recommended
The fact that a certain header file need not be processed more than once
should be indicated in the header file, not where it is used.
The best way to do this is with a conditional of this form:

  #ifndef _FOO_H_INCLUDED
  #define _FOO_H_INCLUDED
  ... <real contents of file> ...
  #endif /* Not _FOO_H_INCLUDED */

Then users can use `#include' any number of times.
GNU C automatically avoids processing the file more than once
when it is equipped with such a conditional.

--
Paul E. Johnson                         email: address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science              http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn