Re: a little X problem (png snapshots)

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: Re: a little X problem (png snapshots)
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 14:47:44 -0600

"Sven N. Thommesen" wrote:

> I've just had a long experiment abort on me with the following error message:
>
> "
> X Error of failed request: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
>  Major opcode of failed request: 53 (X_CreatePixmap)
>  Serial number of failed request: 9540189
>  Current serial number in output stream: 9540285
> "
>
> As far as I can tell, this happens when the sim tries to write a png
> snapshot of the main agent grid to disk. AFAIK, there is no shortage of
> disk space or of RAM. Anyone have any suggestions?

I've gotten two of those crashes in the last three days and I'm not
doing any saving of pixmaps! I am having pixmaps display on the screen
however.  What is puzzling is that the pixmaps do not change, they only
move.

I had developed the hypothesis that the GNOME use of xscreensaver was
related to this problem, but an N of 2 does not lead to firm deductions.

Cool thing I just learned about. Xemacs comes with a built in lisp
package that lets you view directories on sites that offer ftp service
and edit files and save them on the ftp site "transparantly".  Except
for requiring you to run an ftp daemon (security risk!), this is a cool
setup.