Re: Java Implementation

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Java Implementation
Date: 30 Mar 1999 15:30:42 -0800

GL> However, I cannot find (on the WWW) any documentation on the Java
GL> implementation.

What we expect to release within a month or so is a Java add-on
package for Swarm.  The intent of this package is to expose the Swarm
feature set to Java programmers, and *not* to rewrite the Swarm kernel.

The Java add-on package is part of a general effort to make the Swarm
kernel more accessible to other software environments, where "software
environments" could mean anything from C++ to High Level Architecture
(HLA) to Excel.

The basic idea is to have a single, maintainable Swarm kernel source
tree which can serve both the existing community as well as folks that
prefer to use other environments (e.g. languages) for model development.

If we found ourselves in the position that we had to support two
distinct simulators, something would have to give, and in this
model it would be `Swarm classic' -- the Objective C version.