objc_trace

From: Gary Polhill
Subject: objc_trace
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 12:41:56 +0100

This is probably a question better directed elsewhere, but anyway ...

In objc-api.h, there is a rather nice looking variable called objc_trace:

/*
** Set this variable nonzero to print a line describing each
** message that is sent.  (this is currently disabled)
*/
extern BOOL objc_trace;

I tried setting objc_trace = YES in main.m of one of my Swarm simulations,
(with a #import <objc/objc-api.h>) and when it came to link time, I got the
rather disappointing error message:

objc_trace                          main.o

The gcc command did have a -lobjc in it -- though I did an nm of libobjc.a
and didn't find objc_trace. I'm wondering if anyone out there knows
anything about this -- like whether the "currently disabled" means "not
available at all" instead of "currently set to NO", as I had hoped.

Gary

--

Macaulay Land Use Research Institute, Craigiebuckler, Aberdeen. AB15 8QH
Tel: +44 (0) 1224 318611               Email: address@hidden