Re: adding new objects to a model within an object

From: Andrew Boyd
Subject: Re: adding new objects to a model within an object
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 18:46:14 -0500

Hi,
  Thanks, that seems to make it work.

Andy Boyd
UT Soutwestern Medical Center

<<< Ken Cline <address@hidden>  7/20  6:33p >>>

On Tue, 20 Jul 1999, Andrew Boyd wrote:

> Hi,
>    I am a newbie,  I have been searching for an answer to I think is a simple
> question but have not had any luck.  I am writing a program will the major
> object is a Cell.  In CellModelSwarm.m I have function that I have tried to
> write that will create a new cell.  I am trying to have the swarm object Cell
> call the function in CellModelSwarm to make a new object.
>
> In CellModelSwarm.h after the interface {}
> - addCell:  (Cell *)cll;
> In CellModelSwarm.m
>
> - addCell: (Cell *)cll
> {
>   cll = [Cell createBegin: self];
>   [cellList addLast: cll];
>   return self;
> }
> In Cell.h
> @interface {
>   id cellModelSwarm;
> }
> In Cell.m
> [cellModelSwarm addCell: newCell];
>
> I have tried to model this off of the heatBug addHeatBug and the U of M
> HeatBugPlus.  I am not sure if I am calling the function of addCell
> improperly or I have not figured out what type of variable I need to pass to
> the function, i have tried a few different things.  I have tried specifing
> super (as in Objective C code of calling a superclass), but that does not
> seem to work in swarm.
>
> The error I get when I try to compile is:
>  Cell.m: In function `-[Cell step]':
> Cell.m:50: warning: cannot find method.
> Cell.m:50: warning: return type for `addCell:' defaults to id
> make: *** [Cell.o] Error 1
>
> However when I call other functions within CellModelSwarm it seems to
> compile.

Have you tried importing the "CellModelSwarm.h" file into
Cell.m?

This may cause its own problems, eg cyclic imports, depending
on what else you import, but I'd try that first.

Ken.

Ken Cline                             address@hidden
SAIC                                 VOICE (410) 571-0413
Annapolis, MD                          FAX (301) 261-8427