adding new objects to a model within an object

From: Andrew Boyd
Subject: adding new objects to a model within an object
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 17:50:35 -0500

Hi,
   I am a newbie,  I have been searching for an answer to I think is a simple
question but have not had any luck.  I am writing a program will the major
object is a Cell.  In CellModelSwarm.m I have function that I have tried to
write that will create a new cell.  I am trying to have the swarm object Cell
call the function in CellModelSwarm to make a new object.

In CellModelSwarm.h after the interface {}
- addCell:  (Cell *)cll;
In CellModelSwarm.m

- addCell: (Cell *)cll
{
  cll = [Cell createBegin: self];
  [cellList addLast: cll];
  return self;
}
In Cell.h
@interface {
  id cellModelSwarm;
}
In Cell.m
[cellModelSwarm addCell: newCell];

I have tried to model this off of the heatBug addHeatBug and the U of M
HeatBugPlus.  I am not sure if I am calling the function of addCell improperly
or I have not figured out what type of variable I need to pass to the function,
i have tried a few different things.  I have tried specifing super (as in
Objective C code of calling a superclass), but that does not seem to work in
swarm.

The error I get when I try to compile is:
 Cell.m: In function `-[Cell step]':
Cell.m:50: warning: cannot find method.
Cell.m:50: warning: return type for `addCell:' defaults to id
make: *** [Cell.o] Error 1

However when I call other functions within CellModelSwarm it seems to compile.
Thanks for any and all help

Andy Boyd
UT Southwestern Medical Center