Re: Debugging with GDB in Linux

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: Re: Debugging with GDB in Linux
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 08:30:55 -0500

Darren Schreiber wrote:

> I have tried to use gdb in my new Linux installation.  I type gdb
> VotingModel after a compile and I get "not in executable format: File
> format not recognized."  I can run the program by typing ./VotingModel from
> the shell or terminal and by clicking on it in the GNOME file manager.  I
> looked at VotingModel using emacs and there is a script there.  It
> mentioned something about a .libs/VotingModel.  I tried to run that from
> gdb but that didn't work.
>
> So, how do I run and debug a program with gdb in emacs while I am running
> Swarm 2.0.1 in Linux?  When I select the debugger and it says  "(gdb)  run
> " what filename or location do I type or what do I do now?
>
>         Darren
OK, this one is certainly hitting everyone.  It is number 1 on the
what's new about swarm 2.0 in the FAQ.  The executable "VotingModel" is
not the executable anymore.  Open it with an editor, it is a script that
activates the real executable, which is in a hidden directory .libs.  SO
to use gdb  you do this

gdb .libs/VotingModel.

and in emacs. instead of telling it the executable is VotingModel, use
.libs./VotingModel
--
Paul E. Johnson                         email: address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science              http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn