Re: Debugging with GDB in Linux

From: Darren Schreiber
Subject: Re: Debugging with GDB in Linux
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 13:38:08 -0700

I sucessfully got past the "not in executable format" error and gdb looked
like it recognized the right file.  But, when I typed run I got "Debugger
segmentation fault."  I logged out and in, tried it from the command line
(instead of within emacs) and got the same thing.

Anyone else having this problem?  (Again I am using Swarm 2.0.1 installed
on LinuxPPC 1999).

        Darren

>Darren Schreiber wrote:
>>
>> I have tried to use gdb in my new Linux installation.  I type gdb
>> VotingModel after a compile and I get "not in executable format: File
>> format not recognized."  I can run the program by typing ./VotingModel from
>> the shell or terminal and by clicking on it in the GNOME file manager.  I
>> looked at VotingModel using emacs and there is a script there.  It
>> mentioned something about a .libs/VotingModel.  I tried to run that from
>> gdb but that didn't work.
>>
>> So, how do I run and debug a program with gdb in emacs while I am running
>> Swarm 2.0.1 in Linux?  When I select the debugger and it says  "(gdb)  run
>> " what filename or location do I type or what do I do now?
>>
>>         Darren
>OK, this one is certainly hitting everyone.  It is number 1 on the
>what's new about swarm 2.0 in the FAQ.  The executable "VotingModel" is
>not the executable anymore.  Open it with an editor, it is a script that
>activates the real executable, which is in a hidden directory .libs.  SO
>to use gdb  you do this
>
>gdb .libs/VotingModel.
>
>and in emacs. instead of telling it the executable is VotingModel, use
>.libs./VotingModel
>--
>Paul E. Johnson                                email: address@hidden
>Dept. of Political Science
>       http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn
>University of Kansas                           Office: (785) 864-9086
>Lawrence, Kansas 66045                         FAX: (785) 864-5700

>   Swarm-Support is for discussion of the technical details of the day
>   to day usage of Swarm.  For list administration needs (esp.
>   [un]subscribing), please send a message to <address@hidden>
>   with "help" in the body of the message.

                 Darren Schreiber
                  Attorney at Law