Re: Installing Swarm on SuSE Linux

From: Daniel Drewes
Subject: Re: Installing Swarm on SuSE Linux
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 03:43:10 +0200

On Sun, Oct 17, 1999 at 09:17:14PM +0100, Nigel Gilbert wrote:
[...]
> Pentium.  The Linux is from SuSE.  Although SuSE Linux is almost the
> same as Redhat, it is not precisely the same (e.g. in the names it
> gives to packages), and so I have not succeeded in installing the
> Swarm RPM packages.  I am therefore proceeding with compiling the
> source.

What version of SuSE are you using? My small box is currently running
SuSE 6.2 (which is quite unsatisfactory when you have a some nice
Solaris machines at hand but can't use them due to some security update).

I am using the packages suse provided me with and configured swarm with
 ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-tcldir=/usr --with-tkdir=/usr/X11/
--with-bltdir=/usr/X11
--with-zlibdir=usr --with-jdkdir=/usr/lib/java --with-hdf5dir=/usr/local
--with-xpmdir=/usr/X11

libffi-1.20:
  ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-gnu-ld

and hdf5:
 ./configure --disable-hsizet --with-gnu-ld --with-zlib=/usr

AFAIR suse still has the old Tcl/Tk 7.6/4.2 and the not-so-new-anymore
8.0x/8.0x  combo on cd. If you have the old one on your disk and in one
of your paths this will be a reliable source of seg faults and other
pleasures modern technology has to offer.
You should check the output of
 swarmapps-2.0.1/mousetrap> ldd .libs/mousetrap

        -daniel