Re: Installing Swarm on SuSE Linux

From: Nigel Gilbert
Subject: Re: Installing Swarm on SuSE Linux
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 21:04:36 +0100

I had a problem with a seg. fault when starting up a Swarm application on SuSE Linux 6.2 (se below). Thanks to help from Daniel Drewes, Marcus Daniels, and Glen Ropella, the problem is now solved.

It was caused by the fact that the standard load configuration provided by SuSE includes BOTH tcl7.6 and tcl8.0, and some files from one and some from the other version were being loaded. The solution was to rigorously remove tcl7.6 (and similarly for tk7.6), and then rebuild BLT and Swarm.

Nigel Gilbert

I am trying to get Swarm 2.0.1 up on a Linux system running on a Pentium. The Linux is from SuSE. Although SuSE Linux is almost the same as Redhat, it is not precisely the same (e.g. in the names it gives to packages), and so I have not succeeded in installing the Swarm RPM packages. I am therefore proceeding with compiling the source.

I have now managed to configure, build and install Swarm without any evident problem (that sentence conceals quite a lot of trouble, now overcome!). However, when I try to run any example in swarm-apps, the make proceeds OK, but when I execute the object file, I get a segmentation fault.

I need some clue about what could be causing the problem. How can I debug this?

I have the following installed:

gcc: 2.95.1 with the objc-diff patch
tcl 8.0.5
tk 8.0.5
BLT 2.4j
xpm 3.4k
libpng 2.1.0
zlib 1.1.3

I have configured Swarm to be built without HDF5 and without Java.

I have tested tk and BLT with the demos provided as part of these packages and they seem to do as expected. I have tested the swarm installation with the tests in the tests directory, and it passes them all. The latter makes me suspect that the problem has something to do with the GUI, but what?

Nigel
Prof G. Nigel Gilbert, Department of Sociology, University of Surrey
 Guildford GU2 5XH, UK. Tel: +44 1483 259173 Fax: +44 1483 259551