Re: building swarm on sun network or using precompiled binaries...

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: building swarm on sun network or using precompiled binaries...
Date: 29 Oct 1999 15:38:49 -0700

PB> I have tried using the precompiled binaries, but there seems to be
PB> a problem there-- the binary distributions are designed to be
PB> unpacked in an /opt/SDGswarm/ directory, which (as I understand
PB> it) is fine if you intend to use swarm on just that one computer.
PB> Here we have more than 100 suns linked together through
PB> automounters and the like, with the intent that resources be
PB> shared as much as possible between machines.  In order to have the
PB> swarm libraries available to all the computers, they need to be
PB> placed in one of the directories visible to everyone.

At SFI there is a reference install of /opt on the fileserver and that
is accessed by the workstations using the automounter.  So if you want
to use the binary packages, the best thing is to augment the automounter tables
to have /opt sharing.

PB> I could feasibly go through and
PB> edit all of those files to reflect their new home in the
PB> /auto/d2/gnu directory, but I started to think that simply doing a
PB> build from scratch was the cleanest altertnative.

Yes.

PB> /auto/sanduku/apps/swarm-2.0.1/java/java-stub.elc -f
PB> java-run-all-unicode Wrong type argument: char-or-string-p, nil

Two alternatives:

  1) Configure using a separate build area (from the source tree), using
     a configure command like "$S/configure --srcdir=$S" option.  In addition
     to working, this has the advantage that you can build for different
     configurations (e.g. Java and non-Java) or targets (e.g. Solaris 2.6
     and Solaris 2.7) from the same physical source.

  2) Grab the latest snapshot from ftp://ftp.santafe.edu/pub/swarm/testing.
     (That doesn't have the bug of requiring use of --srcdir.)