Re: tk obj error (colormap)

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: tk obj error (colormap)
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 13:21:11 -0600

David Conti wrote:

> I just installed  RedHat 6.1
> I used the rpm installation of swarm and all dependent libs
>
> In running my program I got the following error.
>
> *** event raised for warning: ResourceAvailability
> *** function: tkobjc_setColor(), file:
> /home/alex/redhat/BUILD/swarm-2.0.1/src/tkobjc/internal.m, line: 639
> Problem allocating color #000400.  Switching to virtual colormap.
> *** execution continuing...
>
> The error occurs when I call:
> [colormap setColor: i ToRed: 0  Green: (double)i / 63.0 Blue: 0];
> in the ObserverSwarm.
>
> I tried both tcl and tk version (8.0.4-29) and tcl and tk versions
> (8.0.5-30)
>
> Previously, I was using an X windows program (Exceed) on my Win 98
> computer to run my Swarm program off a Linux server.  This setup gave no
> error
> -- the Linux server is running RedHat 6.0
>
> Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks,
>
> David Conti

Last I heard, you cannot allocate more than 256 colors with Swarm. If
your colormap makes more requests than that, you will see that warning
you get. On my system, that warning is harmless, the program runs, but
some colors are not right.

I wonder if it is really true the same program runs in the way you
describe on Windows using the Xserver and not on RH6.1.  Let's find out.

What if you try to run off the RH6.0 server using your X server
available with the RH6.1 setup. All you have to do is
        xhost +server.dns.name
in an xterm on your RH6.1 machine. then telnet to the RH6.0 machine, log
in,  tell it to export the display

        export DISPLAY=ip.number.of.RH61box:0
When you run the program in that xterm, its GUI should show on the RH6.1
machine.

Does it work?

Come to think of it, I bet you were getting those same warnings under
your other setup as well, but you did not see them because of Exceed.
That is a danger with that sort of X server in my experience.