Re: Windows NT setup problems with swarm and emacs

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Windows NT setup problems with swarm and emacs
Date: 22 Nov 1999 13:10:41 -0800

PJ> The Swarm-2.0.1c package installed its settings for the
PJ> administrator, not for the users.

Copy the CYGFS, CYGROOT, SWARMHOME, SWARMROOT, PS1, MAKE_MODE
environment variable values Administrator has under:

 Start/Settings/Control Panel/System/Environment/User

Also add "c:\Swarm-2.0.1\bin;c:\Cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin"
to the PATH in that same lower panel.  Finally, set a user-specific
HOME variable (and directory), and copy .bash_login and .emacs to
those directories.

HOME is where Emacs will look to find ~/.emacs, and without the
provided .emacs, the shell, compilation and debugging preconfiguration
information won't be available, as you are experiencing.

PJ> Regular users, however, have no item in their Start menus and
PJ> emacs does not find the cygnus tools. Hmmm.

If you want to have multiple users, preventing them from touching
Swarm, etc, you will need to make the links by hand.

PJ> I understand these ownership problems would not affect your garden
PJ> variety win95/98 user?

Correct.