Re: Windows v. Linux

From: M. Lang / S. Railsback
Subject: Re: Windows v. Linux
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 07:33:24 -0800

Charles Staelin wrote:

> Recently there were some interesting speed comparisons
> between Objective C and Java.  Staying with Objective C, is
> there a significant speed differential between Swarm running
> with Cygnus under Windows 95/98 and Linux, both running on
> an Intel Pentium box?

About a year ago we posted a comparison-- using a model that does a lot
of computations per agent per time step, with a raster window and a
graph or two. We ran the model on one Pentium that has both Linux and
Windows NT, with graphics and in "batch mode" that does the computations
but no graphics windows.

In batch mode, the code runs exactly the same in both operating systems,
because you're using the same compiler, same chip, etc. etc.

In graphics mode, we found that the model ran about 30% faster in Linux.

So unless you've got a model that has to run for a long time, and with
graphics turned on, then the difference in execution time is likely to
be insignificant in comparison to how your speed of doing science
otherwise depends on the operating systems. I am used to Windows, so I
run in windows...Steve Jackson, who does code development for me, likes
Linux so he works there.

Steve R.
--
address@hidden