Re: Windows v. Linux

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Windows v. Linux
Date: 13 Dec 1999 09:05:25 -0800

LRA> In batch mode, the code runs exactly the same in both operating
LRA> systems, because you're using the same compiler, same chip,
LRA> etc. etc.

One thing that is different with Cygwin is that the C library is less
integrated with the operating system.  Windows does not export POSIX
system calls, so some of calls need emulation glue.

Also, although both glibc and Cygwin use same malloc implementation,
glibc takes advantage of virtual memory system calls, and Cygwin does
not.  I haven't run tests, but I would expect memory-intensive
simulations would be faster on glibc-based systems (e.g. Linux-based
systems).