my project in brief (was Re: inheritance and problems with #include sta

From: Joseph & Kathleen Villa
Subject: my project in brief (was Re: inheritance and problems with #include statements)
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 08:25:44 -0800

Glen,

As always, thanks for the speedy response. I can't find anything obviously wrong with my interface declarations, so I'll let it be and schlog along with redundant methods in my subclasses.

I thought I'd say a few words about my project hoping that the collective will find it at least a little interesting.

I'm the would-be founder of a would-be software start up company. (Silicon Valley is always full of us 'would-be' types.) I'm using Swarm in three capacities:

1) Financial Planning: I've got a Swarm model that simulates the INTERNAL operations of my would-be company and generates pro-forma financial statements. (It's pretty cool.)To my way of thinking, simulation provides a number of advantages over standard spreadsheet financial modeling. a) it's easier to change assumptions and re-run the model. b) it allows for far more sophisticated performance data creation and analysis. c) it forces clearer articulation of underlying assumptions. d) it allows for the inclusion of stochasticity in the business model. e) I'm sure there are more, but after having built MANY painful spreadsheet models in my career, those reasons were enough. 2) Domain Analysis: I've got a second Swarm model that simulates the EXTERNAL business domain in which my would-be company aims to operate. Benefits: a) it provides a great heuristic device for understanding the real business dynamics in the proposed marketplace. b) it forces clear articulation of the business process changes that would accompany the proposed software system, and c) it allows for financial benefits estimation for potential clients. (I'm still working on this part, but I hope to get some cool reuse from the first effort and generate before and after proformas for clients to help them with the return on investment calculation. I also plan to link this model back to the first so my clients' [er, their agent representations] activities drive the revenue estimations in my financial models - likely to be today's task.) 3) System Testing: The software system under development is written in Java. Scalability is a big issue. So is the integrity of distributed transactions. I plan to let my agents 'use' the system via the Java interfaces (the software system won't be able to distinguish between agents and 'real' users). Of course, I won't get usability feedback (at least in early versions of the model *s*), but it's a great way to get some baseline system and stress testing going without bumming out real users.

Well, that's the thumbnail. If anyone's interested in more, let me know.

BTW, I'm sort of a UML (unified modeling language) junkie. We don't talk much about notational and design methods, approaches, or methodologies here. Which seems a bit of a shame because the technical challenges of using Swarm are the more obvious but not necessarily the more important ones in building really robust and useful models. IMHO. If anyone wants to talk about good object design - I'm always up for it.

Cheers!

Joseph.