Re: Heatbug.java continued..

From: Miles Parker
Subject: Re: Heatbug.java continued..
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 10:07:17 -0500

Miles T. Parker
Software Engineer
The Brookings Institution  1775 Mass. Ave. NW  Washington, DC  20036
http://www.brook.edu/es/dynamics/models/ascape
mailto:address@hidden  voice 202.797.6136  fax 202.797.6319

>>> Marcus G. Daniels <address@hidden> 01/13/00 08:53PM >>>

MP> bestLocation = getHostCell().findMaximumWithin(maximizeFor, 1, true);

>>This is a good thing, I'm think, for a teaching example, but I wonder
to what extent that non-professional Java programmers (e.g. academic
researchers) ever feel a performance cost to implicit allocation like that
(and the cost of automatic reclamation of it).

The code in fact does no actual object allocation except for locally scoped
primitives. The code simply sends a reference to a location that already
exists. Yes there are _reference_ allocations, but CMIIW I don't believe these
are broadly speaking any more expensive then primitive 'reference' allocations.
In fact, I ruthlessly excised any object allocation from the core engine after
discovering what a huge hit object allocation is in Java.

The point about hiding details from non-programmers is an important one; see my
responce to Benidikt. But the flip side of that is that someone who is
concentrating on developing a framework may see opporunities for optimization
that a user of the framework may miss or not have the time to exploit.

-Miles