Re: Random Seed question

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Re: Random Seed question
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 07:52:27 -0800

At 07:50 PM 1/28/00 -0800, you wrote:
Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I believe a good RNG should not
need a special seed.  That is one of the requirements.  I tend to choose
phone numbers, permutations of my social security number,  or other
interesting number patterns.  I then enter about 40 of these into a text
file and go through them in order when I'm running multiple experiments with
my model.

These are good ideas.  Or, if you're like me and you're too lazy
to think up your own seeds, you can use:
   http://www.random.org/
Since we now have the Java layer, it should be relatively easy to
use the jdk client on their site to grab random numbers....as long
as you're on-line.  If you're off-line, you can always just generate
a bunch of them and put them in a file, like Doug suggested.

glen

--
glen e. p. ropella =><= Feeding the hamster wheel.  Hail Eris!
Home: http://www.swarm.com/gepr                (505) 424-0448