Re: Random Seed question

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: Re: Random Seed question
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 10:00:15 -0500 (EST)

If I recall correctly (ted could tell us for sure),
Drone uses what might be viewed as a more compressed
way of "storing" a stream of RNG seeds:  it starts
with a number created from the clock and task number,
and uses that as a seed for one kind of RNG, which
then creates a sequence of numbers to use as seeds
for some other kind of RNG.   It is important, of course,
to use different kinds of RNGs for the seed generator
vs what is used in your simulation.

Thus its "more compressed" in that you just have to record
that first seed generated from the clock and process number
(and the seed generator algorithm, of course!).

- r

Rick Riolo                           address@hidden
Center for Study of Complex Systems (CSCS)
4477 Randall Lab
University of Michigan         Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
Phone: 734 763 3323                  Fax: 734 763 9267
http://www.pscs.umich.edu/PEOPLE/rlr-home.html