Re: Java examples

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: Re: Java examples
Date: 08 Feb 2000 01:36:54 -0700

MY> I also think that if there was an introductory chapter on Java in
MY> the refbook or the better, the user book, this would be more than
MY> useful for the beginners (like me). Yes, I have written some time
MY> ago that I have opted at the end for ObjC (because of this
MY> problem) but I have difficulties to turn my back to java...

Yep, I agree, it would be great to have such examples.  The problem
right now is resources to do such things.  Right now the SDG in it's
embryonic phase, has only one full-time employee (Marcus), compared
with three employees this time last year (Marcus, myself and Vladimir
Jojic).

For all User Guide related stuff we rely on the kind donation of time
from folks in user community such as Paul Johnson (U. of Kansas) and
now myself, as I am now full-time on another project at SFI not
involving Swarm.  Paul, myself, Benedikt (CASA), Glen (Swarm Corp.)
and Irene all help out where we can, but it's all on purely volunteer
basis.  SwarmFest 2000 is being run by Paul Box out at Utah State and
does not involve any SFI resources whatsoever.

So one of many things folks can do to help speed the documentation and
development process are:

1) help out by joining as an SDG member (at whatever level is
   appropriate), see:

   http://www.swarm.org/membership.html

2) contribute to the ongoing User Guide (aka the Swarm Documentation
   Project) effort by getting in touch with either Paul
   <address@hidden> or myself and seeing what can be done.  This
   is how free (or open-source) software gets done!

Although SFI is helping out the SDG where they can (they're members of
the SDG, they've kindly donated us many machines to help build out
internal swarm.org network to enable testing of Swarm on all of the
bazillions of platforms on which it runs, and they allow us to
continue to run the ftp site and mailing lists out of SFI), as the
move new to the "www.swarm.org" site should make clear, the project is
now in a very real sense independent, both financially and
administratively from the SFI.

Alex
--
Alex Lancaster * address@hidden * www.santafe.edu/~alex * 505 984-8800 x242