Re: Caldera OpenLinux 2.2

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Caldera OpenLinux 2.2
Date: 17 Feb 2000 12:07:43 -0800

PT> 2. Has someone experience in installing the Swarm RPM distribution
PT> with Caldera OpenLinx 2.2?

I haven't used Caldera OpenLinux, but the 2.3 brochure says that it is
"self hosted", i.e. built end-to-end at Caldera.  That says to me
"we don't use no stinking packages".  OTOH, if it has everything ready
to go, a source build of Swarm on Linux shouldn't be much of a hassle.

AL> The Linux Standard Base (LSB: http://www.linuxbase.org) is seeking to
AL> unify many of the packaging systems and dependencies, to remove some
AL> of the idiosyncrasies between distributions, but there's a ways to go yet.

..of which Caldera is a member.  However, they don't really participate on the
mailing lists, though.