Re: non-java neuro (or java swarm?)

From: J.F. Impett
Subject: Re: non-java neuro (or java swarm?)
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 22:41:33 +0000 (GMT)

On 24 Feb 2000, Marcus G. Daniels wrote:

> JI> (I still don't understand why, but it always gave up on defobj,
> JI  with a stream of errors and bad casts in fcall_objc
>
> Perhaps some 64 bit portability issue?  (The most efficient thing
> is to post exactly what happened.)
>
> JI> (I can force a make by deleting "{swarm_JAVASWARMLIBS}" from the
> JI> SWARM_LDADD line in /etc/config.swarm, but then the demo doesn't
> JI> quit cleanly, and presumably this is symptomatic of other horrors
> JI> that might be in store.
>
> For 2.0.1, that's probably appropriate.

Thanks. I posted the make failure back in October, and decided to install
without java when I saw Jayshree had reached a similar decision, and
concluded that in any case I would be working in Objective C. It runs as
follows:

DBUILDING_SWARM  -O2 -Wall -Wno-import -Wno-protocol -Werror
-Wno-unknown-pragma
s -Wno-unknown-pragmas -c -o fcall_objc.lo fcall_objc.m
rm -f .libs/fcall_objc.lo
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../.. -I../.. -I../../libobjc
-I../../libobjc -I..
 -I./.. -I./../collections -I./../misc -I/usr/local/include
-I/usr/java/include
-I/usr/java/include/irix -I../../avcall -DBUILDING_SWARM -O2 -Wall
-Wno-import -
Wno-protocol -Werror -Wno-unknown-pragmas -Wno-unknown-pragmas -c  -DPIC
fcall_o
bjc.m -o .libs/fcall_objc.lo
cc1obj: warnings being treated as errors
fcall_objc.m: In function `objc_setup_call':
fcall_objc.m:13: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
fcall_objc.m:14: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
In file included from fcall_objc.m:18:
_fcall.m: In function `objc_add_primitive':
_fcall.m:55: warning: value computed is not used
_fcall.m:58: warning: value computed is not used
_fcall.m:66: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
_fcall.m:69: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
_fcall.m:72: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
_fcall.m:76: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
_fcall.m:79: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
gmake[3]: *** [fcall_objc.lo] Error 1
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/swarm-1999-10-09/src/defobj'
gmake[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/swarm-1999-10-09/src'
gmake[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/swarm-1999-10-09'
gmake: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

Maybe I just need to solve this in any case.
As to the NeuroLib behaviour being "appropriate" - is the non-quitting
(i.e. java-ignoring) situation an appropriate state of affairs to allow to
continue (is it safe)? Is there a better way of using NeuroLib without
java (than described in my last message)? Or does java have to be there
for NeuroLib 2.0?
Thanks, as ever,
        Jonathan

Jonathan Impett
Faculty of Music'Wset Road'Cambridge CB3 9DP
UK
+44 (0)1954 250192
address@hidden