Re: status access violation

From: Patrick McNeill
Subject: Re: status access violation
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 21:52:59 -0500

On Sun, Mar 05, 2000 at 06:47:18PM -0800, Darren Schreiber wrote:
> My other favorite mystery error is "segmentation fault."  Could you give me
> a general sense of what causes these?

A segmentation fault is usually caused by accessing memory that your
process doesn't own.  Typical causes are dereferencing a NULL pointer
and assigning a pointer value incorrectly (that is, something like
my_ptr = 5 instead of *my_ptr=5, and then later dereferencing my_ptr).
gdb is really helpful in finding segfaults (usually).

-Patrick