Gecko/BacSim and Netscape on Linux

From: Jan Kreft
Subject: Gecko/BacSim and Netscape on Linux
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 17:10:20 +0000 (GMT)

Dear group:

Ginger Booth and I have been trying to make the Java version of
Gecko/BacSim run in Netscape under Linux. At first, it only worked with
IE and Netscape on Windows. Now, after a lot of work, it does work on my
particular Linux box, but not the only other one tested. So much for
portability of Java.

Now if you Linux lot out there could try to run

frog.biology.yale.edu/ginger/java/gecko.html
frog.biology.yale.edu/ginger/java/bacsim.html

on your version of Linux and tell us whether the buttons worked, the
colors were correct, etc., we would get an idea of where the problem is.

Please also tell us

- your version of Netscape
- whether it has netscape/java/classes/java40.jar
- screendepth
- windowmanager
- distribution and version used

Thanks very much, Jan.

Jan Kreft                               Phone  +44 (0)29 20875278
Cardiff School of Biosciences           Fax    +44 (0)29 20874305
Cardiff University                      E-mail address@hidden
PO Box 915, Cardiff CF10 3TL, UK