Memory Leak-.dll problem

From: Doug Donalson
Subject: Memory Leak-.dll problem
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 15:45:10 -0800

Marcus,

   I have traced the memory leak to a problem in the updated 2.0.1 dll's.
It occurs when agents try to remove actions scheduled in the future, ie a
birth event is scheduled but the agent is killed prior to the time the
action is scheduled.  Here is how I traced it.

1.)  I found that the leak was in the concurrent event schedule by moving
different "creates" into the scratchZone until I isolated it to the event
schedule.

2.)  I found that it only happened when dying agents removed actions that
were scheduled for themselves in the future.

3.)  I took my spam model, which has been well used and run for very long
periods of time and found the same result.  This suggested that it was a
recently introduced problem.

4.)  I reinstalled 2.0.1 but did not add the updated dll's and the problem
went away.

5.)  Another clue, the scratchZone (eventSchedule) initial size is HUGH with
the new dll's when compared to the standard 2.0.1 version.

Cheers?

   D3
* Doug Donalson                 Office: (805) 893-2962
* Ecology, Evolution,           Home:   (805) 961-4447
* and Marine Biology            email address@hidden
* UC Santa Barbara
* Santa Barbara Ca. 93106
*
*   The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that
*   heralds new discoveries, is not "EUREKA" (I have found it) but
*   "That's funny ...?"
*
*       Isaac Asimov
*