Re: SMP support?

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: SMP support?
Date: 21 Mar 2000 09:21:27 -0800

DS> I went looking for notes from the conference on the Swarm webpage,
DS> but the best I could find was an old conference agenda.

As soon as the proceedings are available, SDG members will be sent a
hardcopy.  I know that the price hasn't been finalized, but you
can queue up a request with Irene Lee <address@hidden> if you want.

DS> What is next on the agenda for Swarm development?

We're looking at techniques for characterizing the trajectory of a
simulation's emergent state space... everything from ahead-of-time
code analysis in the compiler (e.g. cyclomatic complexity),
information theoretic based techniques for discrete multivariate
modeling (e.g.  set-theoretic reconstructability, epsilon machines),
to practical stat-pack integration with Swarm (e.g. R).  A basic
infrastructure need for all of these is improving the ability of Swarm
to record and playback given a range of times.

DS> What is the current thinking about parallelization and XML, for
DS> instance?

Unless someone wants to fund us specifically to do parallelization, it
won't be an immediate priority.  There are too many modeling and
usability issues to be resolved, first.  There is a chance we will
continue XML work as a part of a larger cooperative development
effort, but it is too soon to say..