Re: Java/Swarm questions

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Java/Swarm questions
Date: 22 Mar 2000 17:37:03 -0800

CS> I'll take a few hours to document the tutorial for Java and post it.

Wow, that would be terrific!

CS> 1. The ObjectiveC Simplebug programs send a "doTkEvents" message
CS> to the control panel in order to update the display and check for
CS> a control panel button push at each step.

CS> Or is the Simplebug code simply out of date?

For several releases now (of swarmapps), those apps send to "actionCache".
Where do you see this done?

CS> Is the ActionClass a superclass for the control panel in the java
CS> version of things?

There is an ActionCache instance ivar in a GUISwarm, "actionCache".  The
ActionCache is a queue that soaks up events and feeds them to the
ControlPanel instance also in the GUISwarm, "controlPanel".  "controlPanel"
is what actually starts and stops the top level activity.

CS> When would you send a doTkEvents message to the control panel
CS> alone?

It should always be actionCache.

CS> detects an unrecoverable error in the code?  Is there a graceful
CS> way, or needn't one worry about grace in this event?

In a GUI model, use "[controlPanel setStateQuit]".  In a batch model,
use "[getTopLevelActivity () terminate]".

CS> 3. I find that my ObserverSwarms work fine unless I click on the
CS> display raster window during a simulation.  If I do that, the
CS> whole machine hangs.  (I'm in Windows with Swarm 2.1 and the
CS> latest fixes.)  Is the raster window supposed to respond in some
CS> way to being "selected"?

This isn't a Raster that has a setButton:Client:Message: used to
configure a probe, say?  (One that might be wrong somehow.)

There are problems with Tcl/Tk besides the latest Cygwin DLL on
Windows 98 (not NT, AFAIK), but I can't tell if this is an instance of
that.