windows 2000/novell /nonadministrator

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: windows 2000/novell /nonadministrator
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 10:34:28 -0500

Here is the sad story.  Emacs Tools/compile can't find "make" or other
Swarm/bin programs, but in the Emacs shell, those programs are found.
(Emacs was installed from a package I got on the nt-emacs site, not from
the Swarm CD). This is happening to a user, not the administrator, on a
win2000 system in our computer lab. I have to install stuff like this as
administrator to stop vandalism.

As the administrator, I installed swarm-2.1.1 in D:\.
Then I log on as a user, and the user has HOME space in
F:\UserDirectories\pols55. The administrator has already done the steps
to set the drive and HOMEPATH to point at this spot.  I think this
summarizes the changes I made as user pols55.
  1. add environment variable SWARMDIR=D:\Swarm-2.1.1
  2. Copied .emacs and .bash_login into F:\UserDirectories\pols55
  3. In Swarm Terminal, I checked the mounts, and then made it so
      d:    /
      d:/Swarm-2.1.1    /Swarm-2.1.1
      d:/Swarm-2.1.1/bin  /bin
      f:/UserDirectories/tmp   /tmp
   4. The novell system kept fouling up the paths, so I logged in as the
administrator and in everybody's path, right at the front, I put
D:\Swarm-2.1.1\bin.

After this, the swarm terminal works correctly. THe paths are OK. I can
make and run swarm apps. If I type "bash -login -v" I can verify that it
does find the .bash_login file from pols55.