FAQ updates

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: FAQ updates
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 17:03:32 -0500

The compiler flag questions have come up enough for me to create item

4.1 What flags are used to customize the "make" command   (17/05/2000
Paul Johnson <address@hidden>)

The three major categories of flags are

EXTRACPPFLAGS (for c preprocessor flags)

EXTRAOBJCFLAGS (for flags passed to the compiler when creating the ".o"
files)

EXTRALDFLAGS (for linker flags, when the ".o" files are linked to create
the program. Here are some common usages.

1. To turn on "screenshots" and "use pixmaps" in heatbugs, you do

make EXTRACPPFLAGS="-DSCREENSHOTS -DUSE_PIXMAP"

2. To tell the compiler not to treat warnings as errors, do this:

make EXTRAOBJCFLAGS=-Wno-error

3. To profile a program, pass the -pg flag in both the compile and link
phases, as in

make EXTRAOBJCFLAGS=-pg EXTRALDFLAGS=-pg

If this is wrong, let me know.

Note in the FAQ I also have a big section on "which editor should I use
in Windows".  That's item 3.7.  Its a downer for the FAQ maintainer when
FAQs are answered without reference to the FAQ.

--
Paul E. Johnson                         email: address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science              http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn