scheduling quandry

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: scheduling quandry
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 16:09:16 -0500

I got a scheduling mess, which you can see if you get the newest version
of pjrepeater3.m.
(http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/SwarmFaq/WorkingExampleCode/objc/pjrepeater3.m
) This is a multilevel swarm scheduling problem.

Agents have their own schedules.  Those who do something a time X have
their actions randomized because their schedules are activated in the
model swarm.  And the model swarm has setSynchronizationType to
randomize actions.  But at time X, I do not want actions from the model
swarm itself "mixed in" with the actions that are "picked up" from the
agent schedules.

Due to the randomization at time X, I'm seeing the model swarm's action
at X mixed in with the actions of the agents, as in:

I'm model swarm, current time is 0
I'm bugA, and the current time is 0
I'm bugB, and the current time is 0
I'm bugA, and the current time is 1
I'm model swarm, current time is 1

I keep wondering if floating point times would solve this problem, and
Doug has described their usage somewhat, but I don't understand the
meaning of it.

The only fix for this problem I see now is to make sure that no agent is
acting at a time when the model swarm is trying to record information.
Actually, by total luck, the bigger project I'm working on is designed
that way. But I'd still like to work this out more clearly.