Trouble with java version on Linux

From: raul.bagni
Subject: Trouble with java version on Linux
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 19:12:46 +0200

Hi, my name is Raul Bagni, I'm new to this news group (and to swarm and
java programming too). I'm working with a team on an epidemiological
simulation at the University of Rome ("La Sapienza"). I've some problems
using the swarm java version.

1) The first problem is quite simple: I downloaded the swarm version
2.1.1 and the applications jheatbugs-2.1 and jmousetrap-2.1; the TODO
file in jheatbugs is empty !
Doing my best I've unzipped and untarred the jdk12.tar.gz file. So I
created the <jheatbugs-2.1-home>/java sub directory (and also
./java/lang ed ./java/util). What else I must do ? Why some files .java
had been "compiled" obtaining the bytecode (.class), while other are not
? Must I compile all the files and put the directory in CLASSPATH, or in
kaffe jar Klasses ?

2) My PC Operating System is Linux, I've the SUSE 6.3
distribution (a quite "standard" installation, without any special
customization).
I downloaded the SuSE recommended software:
        kaffe-2000.02.26-1.i386.rpm              for "kaffe" java virtual
                                                        machine
        swarm-kaffe-2.1.1-1.i386.rpm             for swarm classes and utility
                                                        script
I installed both the package, all dependencies were satisfied, and
everything looked ok.

Now I can "compile" the Mousetrap and Heatbugs classes, but, if I run an
application (for instance Heatbug) using either the command "javaswarm
Heatbug" or "kaffe Heatbug", I obtain these error messages:

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: main
   at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Throwable.java:38)
   at java.lang.Error.<init>(Error.java:21)
   at java.lang.LinkageError.<init>(LinkageError.java:21)
   at
java.lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError.<init>(IncompatibleClassChangeError.java:21)
   at java.lang.NoSuchMethodError.<init>(NoSuchMethodError.java:21)

Have you ever heard something like that ?

I think the problem is relative to kaffe. In fact if I run the "jdb"
command I obtain identical error messages. Are there any solutions ?
Alternatively, is it possible to use the Sun jdk ? If yes what release I
must install? Are there some TODO lists ?

Thanks !