Re: Trouble with java version on Linux

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Trouble with java version on Linux
Date: 10 Sep 2000 10:02:29 -0700

RB> 1) The first problem is quite simple: I downloaded the swarm
RB> version 2.1.1 and the applications jheatbugs-2.1 and
RB> jmousetrap-2.1; the TODO file in jheatbugs is empty !

I've deleted that file, thanks.

RB> Doing my best I've unzipped and untarred the jdk12.tar.gz file. So
RB> I created the <jheatbugs-2.1-home>/java sub directory (and also
RB> ./java/lang ed ./java/util). What else I must do ? Why some files
RB> .java had been "compiled" obtaining the bytecode (.class), while
RB> other are not ? Must I compile all the files and put the directory
RB> in CLASSPATH, or in kaffe jar Klasses ?

That tar file is for people using old versions of Kaffe or versions
of Sun JDK previous to 1.2.  I've deleted that file as well, since the
common releases of Kaffe work fine.

RB> Now I can "compile" the Mousetrap and Heatbugs classes, but, if I
RB> run an application (for instance Heatbug) using either the command
RB> "javaswarm Heatbug" or "kaffe Heatbug", I obtain these error
RB> messages:

Try "javaswarm StartHeatbugs".

RB> Alternatively, is it possible to use the Sun jdk ? If yes what
RB> release I must install?

It is possible to use Sun JDK, but you'd need to build Swarm from
source code.