Re: need some house keeping advice

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Re: need some house keeping advice
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 18:44:03 -0500

"Marcus G. Daniels" wrote:

> If you want to distribute source code for your model, and have them
> compile it, but then for some reason think that running `make' for a
> dependent Swarm-like library is a big deal, then I'd say add some
> logic to the model makefile to copy or symlink in the files from a
> central location.
Yes, this is my goal, to distribute source where people just type "make"
and it builds.  I don't want them to have to install a separate library.

Can you tell me what you mean by the last phrase about adding some logic
to the makefile?

I understand the symlink idea to mean that I:

keep one copy of the common files somewhere and then use
ln -s target link
in the code directory.

Then when I build a tarball, I can make sure it follows the sym link and
puts the actual file in the tarball by using the h option in tar.

The only problem with that is that the symlinked files won't get updated
in CVS unless I go into their directory and run cvs commit, correct?