Re: Is RedHat 7.0 my friend? Not so far

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: Re: Is RedHat 7.0 my friend? Not so far
Date: 27 Sep 2000 01:54:56 -0600

PJ> I checked and I do have strcmp in /usr/include/string.h.

MD> Include it in libobjc/objc/hash.h and you should be fine.  That's
MD> fixed in the current source tree..

Hah, so that's where the little blighter got to... ;-)

PJ> And I also wonder if a swarm rpm built on RH7 is likely to be
PJ> useless on RH6, as was the case with RH5 and RH6, as you recall...

MD> Usually it is easier to assume that is the case and make separate
MD> binary distributions than it is to figure out problems (that may
MD> or may not exist) with binaries.

Definitely agreed.  So much has changed with Red Hat 7.0 (it is a
major release after all) that you really do need to build new
packages.  In particular Tcl/Tk is now at 8.3.1 (and the matching
blt), which means that an a Swarm built against Tcl/Tk 8.0.x won't
work, since the interface has changed.

It also ships with gcc 2.96 (rather than egcs, which has now merged
with gcc), and thus the dependencies with egcs/egcs-objc break (they
need to be changed to gcc and gcc-objc, respectively).

One other feature (bug?) of Red Hat 7.0 is that the RPM format has
changed, it's now at version 4.0.  If you build a Swarm package on Red
Hat 7.0 with the rpm-4.0 that's shipped, it won't be backwardly
compatible with any Red Hat release that uses rpm < 3.0.5.  Of course,
RH 7.0 will still install packages built with older versions of RPM,
you just can't install a RPM 4.0-built package on older Red Hat
systems.

Alex
--
   Alex Lancaster * <address@hidden> * www.santafe.edu/~alex
Dept. of Integrative Biology, UC Berkeley (ib.berkeley.edu) * +1 510 642-1233