Is RedHat 7.0 my friend? Not so far

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Is RedHat 7.0 my friend? Not so far
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 19:42:22 -0500

Nothing is easy on the bleeding edge. One machine wont run the RH7
install at all.

The other did upgrade successfully, but the same old swarm binaries
don't work no more. When I try to compile a program that did work in
RH6.2, I get:

gcc -c -g -O2  -march=pentiumpro  -pipe -mcpu=pentiumpro -mieee-fp
-fexpensive-optimizations -malign-loops=2 -malign-jumps=2
-malign-functions=2 -Wall -Wno-import -Wno-protocol -Werror
-D_GNU_SOURCE -DAPPNAME=recruiter     -I/usr/include/swarm Point.m
cc1obj: warnings being treated as errors
In file included from /usr/include/swarm/objc/typedstream.h:32,
                 from /usr/include/swarm/objc/Object.h:32,
                 from /usr/include/swarm/defobj/DefClass.h:13,
                 from /usr/include/swarm/defobj/Customize.h:13,
                 from /usr/include/swarm/defobj/Create.h:13,
                 from /usr/include/swarm/objectbase/SwarmObject.h:10,
                 from Point.h:5,
                 from Point.m:5:
/usr/include/swarm/objc/hash.h: In function `compare_strings':
/usr/include/swarm/objc/hash.h:203: warning: implicit declaration of
function `strcmp'
make: *** [Point.o] Error 1

I checked and I do have strcmp in /usr/include/string.h.

What's up with that?  Is gcc-2.96 more anal about getting includes
right?

I realize I'm going to have to recompile swarm, because when I use the
-Wno-error to ignore those errors, then I get this ld error:
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ltk8.0

And I expect this is due to the change in tcl/tk editions (now it is
tk-8.3.1 and tcl-8.3.1).

And I also wonder if a swarm rpm built on RH7 is likely to be useless on
RH6, as was the case with RH5 and RH6, as you recall...