Questions on probes and inheritance

From: David Aliaga
Subject: Questions on probes and inheritance
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 04:21:01 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Swarm Community:

Let me put some questions: (in order of importance)

1) I have a ZoomRaster and an Object2dDisplay. Here we
can see a bunch of agents of class "Predator" and
"Prey". Since they have some things in common I
reorganized the simulation and made them subclasses of
a more general class "Bug" (a subclass of SwarmObject)
OK, so now I have the preds and preys moving in the
ZoomRaster. I Stop the simulation and right-click in
one of them to see the internal state. I got a probe
of course. The instance variable of Pred, for example
is
 int haveEaten;

So that is what I got.

But there are 2 instance variables of the superclass
"Bug"(inherited by Pred I suppose)  which would be
interesting to display too:
  int xPos,yPos;

How can I make that the probe displays these
superclass instance variables? (this probe is
generated by right clicking, not by writing code)

(Actually I have click the name of the object, got a
complete Probe, then click the Superclass button...
But there should be a more convenient way...)

2) I have another object called "theWorld" of class
"Mundo2d" subclass of a Grid2d object, that also have
some instance variables I would like to display. I
tried to make a probe:

  probeWorld= [EmptyProbeMap createBegin: aZone];
  [probeWorld setProbedClass: [Mundo2d class]];
   probeWorld = [probeMap createEnd];

  [probeWorld addProbe: [probeLibrary
getProbeForVariable: "number_of_steps"inClass:[Mundo2d
class]]];

  [probeLibrary setProbeMap: probeWorld For: [Mundo2d
class]];

But I got the following message:

*** event raised for warning: WarningMessage
*** function: _i_ProbeMap__addProbe_(), file:
/src/Swarm/swarm/src/objectbase/Pr
obeMap.m, line: 508
Probe not added to ProbeMap because Mundo2d is not a
superclass of ModelSwarm
*** execution continuing...

I have to point out that when the object was not a
subclass of Grid2d but of SwarmObject there was no
problem. Also I can get a Probe of the object when I
right-click its name in another probe...

3) One question just out of curiosity:
 I notice that in the Template files at the begining
of BuidObjects in TemplateModelSwarm.m there is a
[super BuildObjects]

but in the tutorial examples in the same part this
line doesnt appear. Same happens in BuildActions. Why?
 Is it not necessary to call the superclass?

Thanks a lot

David