Re: Libraries in Obj C vs. Java

From: Ralf Stephan
Subject: Re: Libraries in Obj C vs. Java
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 10:05:47 +0100

Marcus G. Daniels:
>... Examples of languages that *do* have
> freely-available interpreter infrastructure are languages like Java,
> JavaScript, Perl, Python, Scheme, and Smalltalk (which is like
> Objective C).  Currently, JavaScript and Scheme are working.

Scheme is the one I missed until now.  But is it readable by
humans as naturally as --- was Obj-C?  How efficiently compilable
is it /wrt other choices?

I think the 'problem of choice' (German: Qual der Wahl) here is
using one language for all parts of development (Agent, Scheduling,
UI) and having all of the benefits and none of the quirks.

There are free Java-to-C translators, presumably, but are there
Javascript compilers?  And, has security with Javascript become
better?  Haven't looked for years.

Still not sure what language(s) to use,
ralf
--