RPMS available: swarm-2.1.72 (that's stardate 2001-05-30)

From: pauljohn
Subject: RPMS available: swarm-2.1.72 (that's stardate 2001-05-30)
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 16:32:02 -0500

Dear lovers of old cowboy movies:

I'm back in the saddle again!  Redhat fixed the RPM bug in RH 7.1 (get
it on their "rawhide" page if you want), I installed the patched
gcc-2.95.3 (still available on my software site), and rolled up some new
Swarm RPMS.  Could the beans possibly taste any sweeter?  No, I say.

I tested these by building/running one objc app and one java app.

http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Swarm-2.x_RPMSforRH7/i686/swarm-hdf5-2.1.72.20010530-1.RH7.jdk13.i686.rpm
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Swarm-2.x_RPMSforRH7/i686/swarm-hdf5-jdk-2.1.72.20010530-1.RH7.jdk13.i686.rpm
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Swarm-2.x_RPMSforRH7/i686/swarm-hdf5-static-2.1.72.20010530-1.RH7.jdk13.i686.rpm

On a stock RedHat7.1 system, these should work, you should not need to
change whatever gcc they gave you. The new thing is needed only for
movie heros who roll their own.

Note to java users. RH 7.1 caused some breakage in the Sun JDK, and in
order to make it work on my system I had to install the "preview"
version of the jdk, which at the time I got it was a release candidate
for 1.3.1.  To get that, you have to sign up at www.javasoft.com and
then go to their "early access" page.  You may need to do the same, or
get 1.3.1 if it is out.  I got sick and tired of adjusting my swarm
setup every time I installed a new jdk, so I'm going to act as if jdk is
in /usr/local/jdk1.3 for a while. So I made a symlink from the jdk of
the day to /usr/local/jdk1.3.  Hence, if you install this rpm to use the
jdk, you still need to show your jdk path as /usr/local/jdk1.3, even if
you install a newer jdk, such as jdk1.3.1br2, or whatever stupid name it
has these days. Incidentally, I show this version info:

$ java -version
java version "1.3.1-rc2"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.1-rc2-b23)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.3.1-rc2-b23, mixed mode)

In case Sun has announced an official thing by the time you see it, try
it out, let me know.  Just don't forget, after install,

ln -sf /wherever-you-dumped-jdk /usr/local/jdk1.3

Still have not received any requests for rpms compiled against kaffe, so
I don't do it.