Problems with jheatbugs-2.1 and my Swarm installation (2001-08-25 with J

From: Gary Polhill
Subject: Problems with jheatbugs-2.1 and my Swarm installation (2001-08-25 with JDK 1.2.2 on Solaris 8)
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 10:32:55 +0100

Having compiled and installed Swarm 2001-08-25 on my Solaris 8 box, and
successfully compiled and run the objc version of heatbugs, I'm having some
difficulties with the java heatbugs, which I suspect points more to a problem
with my compilation skills than with jheatbugs...

I am using jheatbugs-2.1.tar.gz, which I have decompressed and extracted. After
changing dir to jheatbugs-2.1, I do make, and get the following error:

% make
/software/swarm/swarm-2.1.1/swarm/bin/javacswarm Heatbug.java HeatCell.java
HeatSpace.java HeatbugModelSwarm.java  HeatbugObserverSwarm.java
StartHeatbugs.java HeatbugBatchSwarm.java
HeatbugModelSwarm.java:298: Wrong number of arguments in constructor.
                        new FArgumentsImpl (this, sel, true)));
                        ^
1 error
make: *** [all] Error 1

I modified line 298 of HeabugModelSwarm.java as per the support list archive
message at
http://www.santafe.edu/projects/swarm/archive/list-archive.0011/0063.html,
though interestingly, this says that line 298 in the original should read: new
FArgumentsImpl (this, sel, Globals.env.LanguageJava)));

Either way, line 298 now reads: new FArgumentsImpl (this, sel)));

Compilation is now successful, but when I do javaswarm StartHeatbugs I get the
following instead of bright green squares wobbling around on a gradually
reddening background:

SIGSEGV 11 segmentation violation
    si_signo [11]: SEGV
    si_errno [0]:
    si_code [1]: SEGV_MAPERR [addr: 0xc346c8f8]

        stackpointer=FFBEDD48
"Finalizer" (TID:0x155e90, sys_thread_t:0x155dc8, state:CW, thread_t:
address@hidden, threadID:0xfe3c1d78, stack_bottom:0xfe3c2000,
stack_size:0x20000) prio=8

[1] java.lang.ref.ReferenceQueue.remove(ReferenceQueue.java:146)
[2] java.lang.ref.ReferenceQueue.remove(ReferenceQueue.java:168)
[3]
java.lang.ref.Finalizer$FinalizerWorker$FinalizerThread.run(Finalizer.java:124)
-------------------
"Reference Handler" (TID:0x1471e0, sys_thread_t:0x147118, state:CW, thread_t:
address@hidden, threadID:0xfe3f1d78, stack_bottom:0xfe3f2000,
stack_size:0x20000) prio=10

[1] java.lang.Object.wait(Object.java:424)
[2] java.lang.ref.Reference$ReferenceHandler.run(Reference.java:136)
-------------------
"Signal dispatcher" (TID:0x12ea00, sys_thread_t:0x12e938, state:MW, thread_t:
address@hidden, threadID:0xfec51d78, stack_bottom:0xfec52000,
stack_size:0x20000) prio=10

-------------------
"main" (TID:0x39438, sys_thread_t:0x39370, state:R, thread_t: address@hidden,
threadID:0x25228, stack_bottom:0xffbf0000, stack_size:0x800000) prio=5 *current
thread*

[1] swarm.objectbase.ProbeLibraryImpl.getProbeForVariable$inClass(Native Method)
[2]
HeatbugObserverSwarm$1$HeatbugObserverProbeMap.probeVariable(HeatbugObserverSwarm.java:90)
[3]
HeatbugObserverSwarm$1$HeatbugObserverProbeMap.addVar(HeatbugObserverSwarm.java:98)
[4]
HeatbugObserverSwarm$1$HeatbugObserverProbeMap.<init>(HeatbugObserverSwarm.java:105)
[5] HeatbugObserverSwarm.<init>(HeatbugObserverSwarm.java:113)
[6] StartHeatbugs.main(StartHeatbugs.java:25)
-------------------
Abort

As a java newbie this makes little sense to me, but I am vaguely aware of there
being POSIX threads and Solaris threads and ne'er the twain shall meet. As the
word "thread" features a great deal in the above error message I am wondering
if in compiling Swarm or one of its many needed software packages I have
inadvertantly specified the wrong thread library [Gromit], or even used some
default thread-disabling configuration option.

All assistance gratefully received...

Gary

Gary Polhill
Research Scientist