RE: experiment management

From: Fred Wan
Subject: RE: experiment management
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 12:34:35 +0200

Hi,

Paul Johnson and I indeed had an extensive discussion about this. It comes
down to generality of the swarm model: swarms can be nested in other swarms,
swarms can be nested in guiswarms but guiswarms cannot be nested in other
guiswarms. The point of having guiswarms control other guiswarms and swarms
is that you (the experimenter) can choose at which level you want to monitor
the progression of your experiments and what's going on inside of your
simulation. At the lowest level you may want to see the movement of your
agents, how high their energy levels are, etc., and at the highest level you
want to see which experiment with, e.g., which agent parameterization is
running. The reason not to put all the GUI stuff into one guiswarm is that
you may want to turn off the GUI stuff at the lowest level (and run an
ordinary swarm). At a certain point the elementary movements of your agents
may not interest you anymore, but sometimes when you make changes to the
design you may want to revert to the full-blown GUI version. This would be
the reason to be able to nest one guiswarm into another, and that is not
possible. You'll have to choose at which level to have GUI facilities;
either at the highest, in which case you can see some general statistics
about the consecutive runs, or you'll have the low-level data in swarm
windows.

If you work with Objective C then you can use Paul's replicator script with
no problems. However, I didn't get it to work with javaswarm.

Fred.