Differences between JDK and Kaffe (Was: Swarm, Kaffe and AWT)

From: Marie-Edith Bissey
Subject: Differences between JDK and Kaffe (Was: Swarm, Kaffe and AWT)
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 11:27:07 +0200 (MEST)

On 26 Sep 2001, Marcus G. Daniels wrote:

|MB> From what I could read on these errors, it seems that the awt
|MB> classes are no longer found at runtime. Why is it so? (they do
|MB> exist in /Swarm-2.1.1/share/kaffe/Klasses.jar....)  And what can I
|MB> do about it?
|
|I don't have much confidence in Kaffe's AWT.  Before putting any time
|in to it you might first check that it works with "jdkswarm StartCooperation".
|This will attempt to use Sun JDK instead.

Thank you for the advice: it does work with JDK ... at least, it
displays the small window I had in the file...
However, I notice that there are (not so) subtle differences between
JDK and Kaffe:

1) unless I use:  "jdkswarm StartCooperation |tee" to run the program,
I do not see any written output in the Swarm terminal (I found the
answer in the archives for this list, but why is it so?)

2) With Kaffe, I could compare a String variable with a string using
the == operator:

String variable="first";
variable=="first"; // return true

With JDK, the same bit of code returns false. Is there another way
than == to compare strings?

There may be more, but 2) is enough to prevent the simulation
written for Kaffe to work.

Help!

Marie-Edith.

Marie-Edith Bissey
Universita` del Piemonte Orientale "Amedeo Avogadro"
Facolta` di Science Politiche         email: address@hidden
Corso Borsalino 50                    tel: +39-0131-283700
15 100 Alessandria -- ITALIA          fax: +39-0131-263030
http://polis.unipmn.it/doc/bis/hp.htm