Re: address@hidden (Marcus G. Daniels)] Re: Error

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: address@hidden (Marcus G. Daniels)] Re: Error
Date: 29 Nov 2001 11:12:51 -0700

DS> I don't actually know what a 'backtrace' is

A backtrace is the annotated listing of the call stack upon a crash.
To get one, it's necessary to use GDB, the debugger.  The usage
is like this:

$ gdb emigrate
(gdb) run
(gdb) bt

Sometimes it can happen that a crash is so obnoxious that it wipes
out the call stack, and then you must add breakpoints to prevent
it from doing that.  The usage for that is like this:

(gdb) break main.m:300

That means, "set a break point in the file main.m on line 300".  When
line 300 is hit, the debugger will have the program stopped on that line.
Then you can look at variables like so:

(gdb) print someVariable

..or restart (to see if the next break point somewhere else gets hit):

(gdb) c

DS> or what it is to 'serialize an object'.

To use Archiver methods like -putDeep:object:.  I was just speculating.
The backtrace should show what code triggered the crash.  If the backtrace
is not there, you'll have to incrementally set breakpoints to see how
far it gets through your code.  That can pretty much be done by bisection.