Re: Swarm ftp: apps in ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/apps

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: Re: Swarm ftp: apps in ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/apps
Date: 13 Dec 2001 17:31:16 -0800

PJ> I got a couple of emails about my proposed revision of the swarm
PJ> ftp directories, and I easily accomodated them.  I've gotten 2
PJ> calls from people this week who could not find swarm apps in the
PJ> ftp server, so I've decided to go ahead and move my stuff into
PJ> this new place:

PJ> ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/apps

PJ> And I hope you like it.

Looks great.  One suggestion, can you create plaintext versions of each
of the HTML files?  Not everybody uses ftp from a browser (e.g. I use
"ncftp" a lot, and I like to be able to read "README" files inline
within the client).

I'd suggest using "lynx -dump" to create a ASCII versions (README,
SwarmLSMNames) for each of the html files, that way you only need to
maintain one file (the HTML one) and then can generate plaintext from
them.  The only gotcha is that with lynx you shouldn't use HTML
<tables>.

PJ> This has the apps as I had found them in mid november. Browsing
PJ> through the directories, I did not see any new ones I've missed.

PJ> After another week or so, while I await criticism and commentary
PJ> yet again, I will take the old src/apps directory and the
PJ> src/users-contrib, move them somewhere else, and then create
PJ> symbolic links to the new place.

PJ> I have no idea how many web pages around the world will break as a
PJ> result of this change, and I apologize for every one.  My opinion
PJ> is that this is a needed cleanup.

Agreed!  Thanks for doing the cleanup, Paul!

Alex