Hardware question

From: Alexander,J
Subject: Hardware question
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 09:29:59 -0000

This is a question less about Swarm and more about hardware on which to
(possibly) run Swarm.

My apologies for posting this here, but I thought that many people who
subscribe to this list
might have the experience required to answer this question.

Because of a theft, I need to get a new laptop which will, in part, be used for
modelling research,
ideally with Swarm.  My previous laptop was an IBM running SuSE Linux and
worked,
more-or-less, fine.  However, I've been seriously considering one of the Mac
PowerBooks running OSX.
>From what I can tell, no one has (yet) got Swarm to run under OSX, but several
>people are close; and
the primary problem with running Swarm under OSX has been that not all of the
necessary toolkits (tcl/tk, gcc,
etc.) officially support OSX in the latest release (although beta versions do).
 From what I've read,
if one is willing to do a bit of hacking, it's possible to get a number of
programs originally written
for linux to work with OSX -- including, eventually, Swarm.

If you've had experience with both linux and OSX, especially regarding Swarm,
I'd really like to hear
about it, and what your recommendation is at the end of the day.

Thanks,

Jason