Re: package size

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: package size
Date: 12 Mar 2002 11:50:32 -0700

TP> but not sure about one thing which is that Swarm 2.1.1 is 50 MB
TP> and Swarm 2.2 Pretest 5 is 42.7 am I downloading the whole
TP> software or not please can some one tell me if I have the full
TP> beta version as I am using Swarm on XP and Swarm 2.1.1 is not
TP> supporting XP.

Swarm 2.1.1 includes the equivalent of all of Cygwin.  It was packaged
that way because there were a variety of fixes needed against the
release of Cygwin at that time, and there was no Cygwin package manager
at the time Swarm 2.1.1 was released.

Now there is a package manager for Cygwin, but there are still some
compiler enhancements needed.  So, the Pretest 5 has a compiler in it
that is intended to supersede what is in Cygwin.  Pretest 5 assumes
you deinstall Swarm 2.1.1 and install Cygwin in the usual way.
Eventually there will be a Swarm package that the Cygwin package
manager will install.