Re: trouble installing swarm on redhat

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Re: trouble installing swarm on redhat
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 16:01:56 -0600

The RH system is pretty good, and tracking their updates is an important part of the RH experience

The binutils error you got was due to the fact that you have not updated your system with the rpms that RedHat makes available. I run autorpm to do chores like that, but redhat has a program up2date for it, and the Ximian distribution of gnome has a killer app called red-carpet for it.

You don't say below which binutils you got, but maybe it was not correct. The up-to-date package is

# rpm -q binutils
binutils-2.11.90.0.8-12

If you start with an all the way up-to-date, with the right binutils and gcc3 from RH, just do this:

Get:
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/miscSupportSoftware/hdf5-1.4.3-1RH72.i386.rpm

Install hdf5-1.4.3 with

#rpm -Uvh hdf5-1.4.3-1RH72.i386.rpm

And then install this swarm (for objc support):

http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Swarm-2.2x_RPMSforRH7.2/swarm-2.1.132.20020309-1Arch.i386.rpm

#rpm -Uvh swarm-2.1.132.20020309-1Arch.i386.rpm

Don't mess around with gcc until you learn your way around the system better. You don't need it to use the rpms I provide. You only need it to build swarm itself. This Swarm I'm providing is almost exactly as nature intended, except I include a patch that provides lisp archiving for Arrays, and it works for me and I expect it will work for you, and eventually I hope it will go into Swarm itself.

Other RPM dependencies you might hit along the way

blt
XFree86-devel
glibc-devel

A standard workstation install does not include many devel packages.

good luck, write me if there is trouble. I've seen just about everything by now.