RE: trouble installing swarm on redhat

From: Paul Box
Subject: RE: trouble installing swarm on redhat
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 03:10:01 -0700

Well, I figurued I'd better report to the list what it took to get this
working.   I still (I confess) do not understand the workings of rpms. I did
use the up2date utility, and got a completely up2date version of redhat.  I
then tried installing the newest swarm rpms
(swarm-2.1.132.20020309-1Arch.i386.rpm), and did find the dependency problems
that Paul J warned me about.

Particularly annoying was trying to install blt from the rpms
(blt-2.4g-5.i386.rpm) -- I got a message saying that blt depended on tcl8.0
and tk8.0-- and I had tcl/tk8.3 of both already installed!  The swarm rpm
install failed saying it would not install without libBLT24.so.  I had that
library installed in /usr/local, but I had built it from source and not
installed it using rpm, so apparantly rpm did not have the required entry
somewhere to know it was there.

Since I have built every version of swarm from source since 1996, I gave up in
disgust and decided to got that route.  I built gcc3.0.4 from source and
installed that, and then built the latest snapshot of swarm
(swarm-2002-03-18).  That compiled and installed just fine, but when I tried
to compile and run heatbugs I still got a segmentation fault.

Using gdb, I found that libBLT was causing the problem.  I had used blt2.4o.
I downloaded blt2.4x (the latest version from sourceforge), built and
installed that , and  now all my swarm applications (and heatbugs...) compile
and run just fine.

I am using redhat 7.2 on a dell inspiron notebook.  The moral here, I
believe,is to have the latest version of everything that you can, no?

I would still like to know what I was doing wrong when I went the rpm route--
that will probably save time somewhere down the road, and I really would like
to understand better how to use them, since Paul J has so kindly taken the
time to provide them.

Thanks for the input.

>===== Original Message From Paul E Johnson <address@hidden> =====
>The RH system is pretty good, and tracking their updates is an important
>part of the RH experience
>
>The binutils error you got was due to the fact that you have not updated
>your system with the rpms that RedHat makes available. I run autorpm to
>do chores like that, but redhat has a program up2date for it, and the
>Ximian distribution of gnome has a killer app called red-carpet for it.
>
>You  don't say below which binutils you got, but maybe it was not
>correct. The up-to-date package is
>
># rpm -q binutils
>binutils-2.11.90.0.8-12
>
>If you start with an all the way up-to-date, with the right binutils and
>gcc3 from RH, just do this:
>
>Get:
>http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/miscSupportSoftware/hdf5-1.4.3-1RH72
.i386.rpm

>Install hdf5-1.4.3 with
>
>#rpm -Uvh hdf5-1.4.3-1RH72.i386.rpm
>
>And then install this swarm (for objc support):
>
>http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Swarm-2.2x_RPMSforRH7.2/swarm-2.1.13
2.20020309-1Arch.i386.rpm

>#rpm -Uvh swarm-2.1.132.20020309-1Arch.i386.rpm
>

>Don't mess around with gcc until you learn your way around the system
>better. You don't need it to use the rpms I provide.  You only need it
>to build swarm itself.  This Swarm I'm providing is almost exactly as
>nature intended, except I include a patch that provides lisp archiving
>for Arrays, and it works for me and I expect it will work for you, and
>eventually I hope it will go into Swarm itself.
>
>Other RPM dependencies you might hit along the way
>
>blt
>XFree86-devel
>glibc-devel
>
>A standard workstation install does not include many devel packages.
>
>good luck, write me if there is trouble. I've seen just about everything
>by now.
>

>--
>Paul E. Johnson                       email: address@hidden
>Dept. of Political Science            http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn
>University of Kansas                  Office: (785) 864-9086
>Lawrence, Kansas 66045                FAX: (785) 864-5700

>   Swarm-Support is for discussion of the technical details of the day
>   to day usage of Swarm.  For list administration needs (esp.
>   [un]subscribing), please send a message to <address@hidden>
>   with "help" in the body of the message.

// Paul Box
// Geography and Earth Resources