Re: Multi Agent Simulation

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: Multi Agent Simulation
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 08:42:07 -0500

Kanagaraj Krishna wrote:
Hi, I'm Kanagaraj Krishna from Malaysia. I'm currently doing my master's research in Computer Science. My area of interest is into trust in Multi Agent environment.

Currently looking into designing a new trust management model for use in multi agent trading environment. Each agent/multi agent system will have their own database to keep their trust ratings and past trading data, in this management model.

I'm planning to do a simulation too, in order to test and analyze the behaviour of the new model. For this I want to analyse and compare existing simulation (platform/tool) and justify picking a suitable (multi agent environment where agents and multi agent system exist) one for my project. I need expertise advise on this area. This are my questions :

-I read about SWARM a bit. Would it be suitable for my purpose? Is there any papers or work comparing simulation tools such as ECHO,SWARM,BRAHMS and etc,because I need to justify my decision.
Sorry, don't know what Brahms is. I believe Echo was a predecessor to Swarm at SFI.

-My agents and multi agent system will have their own rules and reasoning. Is this possible using Swarm?
Yes

-The agents and multi agent system in my model will have to communicate with each other in order to make decisions (getting recommendation form others to form trading partners). Is this possible in Swarm.
Yes. I have several working examples that do just that. Each agent keeps a Swarm Map in which it files "memory" objects, one for each other agent it meets. Then it updates those memories.

-Can an environment where each agent has databases, be simulated using Swarm?
Yes, but you have to write your own database class.  That's what I do.

Pietro Terna's research in the book reviewed here might be a place to start:
http://jasss.soc.surrey.ac.uk/4/2/reviews/johnson.html
He recommends creating one data object to store info for all agents. Swarm's ftp has his code

-Can anybody recommend papers or sources that can help me in doing the needed comparison simulation platform&tool.

I've got this long standing project about people who meet each other and form opinions. It is described in several projects, but this one I think is the most complete statement:

http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/ResearchPapers/APSA01/

There's a slightly older html version and the newest one is
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/ResearchPapers/APSA01/JohnsonHuckfeldt-20011204.pdf
for that I have no html